Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pouvoir- Power

Basic question: how will I charge my phone and laptop while abroad? My laptop is newish so I'm trying to do my homework to prevent any damage. You have to wade through lots of junk to figure out what you really need. Here's what I've found.

1. Voltage specs for your machine- mine is a MacBook. It is "dual-voltage" meaning it can be plugged in without a voltage converter outside the US if the voltage in Senegal is within its range.

100V to 240V AC

2. Plug type in destination country. There are lots of guides out there, but I like this one best because the plugs look like faces (Denmark seems happy). Senegal's is similar to France's. Surprise.

3. Voltage range in destination country. Found in same guides. Senegal's seems to be around 220 on all sites, but one went up to 250. Should I be concerned? Not if I have a surge protector.

Using this information, you can select a plug adapter or converter. I've used the universal adapters in the past and have been mostly happy except for their size. They usually include surge protectors. I'll think I'll stick with what I've got for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment