Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Ironic Christmas Gift

A watch.

Americans' concept of time is drastically different from the rest of the world's. In my time abroad and my interactions with others who work abroad it seems that every country has a time delay except the United States. This past summer I had to work on "Kenyan time". Soon enough I'll be learning the rhythm of life in Senegal.

I'm not sure that a watch will be the most useful instrument in Dakar. I'm not sure if my classes will even start on time. I'm actually at that point in preparing for a trip when you realize how little you can know about somewhere you've never been.

I hope that the watch will at least minimize the times I have to pull my Blackberry out of my pocket, displaying my wealth for everyone around. The watch is perhaps less American than the Blackberry. At least that's what I'm hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment